Watch What Our Customers Have To Say About Our Work
Los Angeles Knob and Tube Wiring Replacement
Knob and tube wiring is one of the earliest systems used to bring electricity into homes and buildings. It was installed in homes from 1880 to 1935. The system involved wires being wrapped around ceramic knobs and run through ceramic tubes. You can look in your attic to see if you have any of these exposed knobs if you are unsure. You can also call us to have an electrician do a quick inspection to determine what kind of wiring your older home has.
If you have knob and tube wiring, it is a good idea to have the home rewired to meet today’s electrical safety standards. It has been proven that the old-fashioned knob and tube system is unsafe. If you ever want to sell your home, you may discover banks will be unwilling to give a loan on a home that has this type of wiring. You may also discover you cannot get a homeowner’s insurance policy. Knob and tube wiring replacement the home will give you more electricity that will allow you to keep up with today’s electrical world.
Knob and Tube Wiring Replacement FAQs
Is knob and tube wiring is safe?
Does knob and tube wiring pose insufficient power problems?
Does knob and tube wiring pose an insulation hazard?
How do I insure and sell a home with knob and tube wiring?
What do I do if I have knob and tube wiring?
How much does it cost to rewire a home?
The knob and tube system can pose a fire hazard as well as a shock hazard. The systems are not grounded, which can result in electrical shock when using appliances that have malfunctioned. The lack of grounding will wear on your electronics and shorten the life of things like your refrigerator, computer and other sensitive electronics.
When these systems were installed over a 100 years ago, they did not have the entertainment systems and various electric gadgets that we do today. The systems were not built to handle today’s electrical demands. You may be blowing fuses and tripping breakers frequently. This increases the risk of a fire being sparked by an overloaded system. The more electricity flowing to the substandard system can result in the wires and connections overheating and sparking a fire.
Insulation placed over knob and tube wiring is dangerous. If the wires spark, the insulation will go up in flames. This is a common scenario in attics that had insulation added over the existing knob and tube wiring.
As mentioned earlier, many banks will not give a loan to a buyer who wants to purchase your home that has knob and tube wiring. Insurance companies will typically not offer fire insurance to a home with knob and tube wiring. This can limit your chances of selling your home.
Your best option is to call for an inspection and discuss the cost of a home rewire with one of our experienced electricians. You can call us for a Free Home Safety Inspection to get started.
Fill out this quick form and we’ll get back to you with an estimate.
*** By clicking “Submit” I agree to receive future information via email from The Electric Connection ***
Knob and Tube Wiring Replacement Reviews[reviewstream count="5"]
House Rewire Articles by Los Angeles Electrician
- Extension Cord Storage Tips It may seem ridiculous to give safety reminders on how to store extension cords but lots of hazards have occurred… Continue Reading
- I Have A Shed Outside, Can I Add Electricity To It? Sheds are generally for simplistic purposes like a garden, a sit-out, or a workshop. Oftentimes, you can feel like there’s… Continue Reading
- House Rewiring Importance Wiring is a critical part of the home that may cause hazards if not given proper attention. This means that… Continue Reading
- Signs for a Long Beach House Rewire It’s important to pay attention to changes in your electrical system. The subtle signs that try to let you know… Continue Reading
- How Long Can A Pasadena House Rewire Take? When it becomes necessary to rewire your Pasadena house, you might have several questions about the project. One of the… Continue Reading
- Do I Need An Electrician to Rewire My Malibu House? Staying in a beach city enjoying the awesome weather and thrill of celebrity mansions is a great way to live.… Continue Reading
- Rewiring a Santa Monica House Room by Room Living in a beautiful city like Santa Monica, you’ll want to make sure your house is efficient as it should… Continue Reading
- Pasadena House Rewire Tips If you stay in your Pasadena house long enough – especially an old home – you will have to rewire… Continue Reading
- Can Your Rewire Part of a Glendale House? There is such a thing as a partial rewire, and sometimes it’s all you need to get your Glendale house… Continue Reading
- Complete Burbank House Rewire The thought of a complete home rewire can be worrying to some homeowners. But it’s always better to be safe… Continue Reading