If you are a fan of a certain holiday movie that focuses on one man’s goal to have the brightest house in the neighborhood, you probably remember the web of electric wires and cords that posed a serious risk. In the movie, it was funny. In real life, it is no joke. It can be deadly or at the very least cause a home fire that could destroy everything and even spread to other homes in the neighborhood. Electricity should always be handled with the utmost care explains an electrician in Santa Monica. The team at The Electric Connection has a few tips to ensure your holiday lights do not cause a blackout or a fire.
1. Check the cords before you wrap them around a tree or put them outside. Make sure there are no broken areas that expose the wiring and could let moisture in.
2. Only use the proper extension cords designated for outdoors.
3. Do no overload an outlet by plugging in more than a few sets of lights. If you notice some of the lights are not working after you tested them, there is a good chance the outlet is overloaded explains an electrician. Santa Monica residents can call to have more outlets installed if their electric panel has the room to accommodate additional outlets.
4. Do your best to keep your cords out of the way. You don’t want them become tripping hazards or being wore done and posing an electric hazard.
5. Keep the number of strands you connect together to a minimum. Ideally, you should never connect more than three strands.
Your Santa Monica electrician suggests you invest in LEDs that are very bright, but use very little electricity. This is a way for you to get the full effect of a thousand lights, but only have to use a few hundred that use the energy of maybe 100. Your electric bill and your house’s power will thank you. You will also feel safer knowing you are not creating an electrical hazard. Give The Electric Connection a call today if you need extra outlets installed or have other questions.